Ebonring - Journal of Do-Loran

A new campaign using Monte Cook's varient Arcana Unearthed rules. The heroes follow a quest through the forest into the mountains and out onto the plains.

Moderator: Sieobahn

Bane
Veteran
Veteran

Ebonring - Journal of Do-Loran

Post by Bane » Fri Aug 27, 2004 9:46 pm

Although I do not enjoy writing as much as singing, I have been convinced by my mentor to record my thoughts as a way of judging myself and helping me to gain perspective on the situations I may encounter.

I have certainly come a long way since I first began my training to become a champion of life, like my father before me. My mentor and teacher, Jo-Buradon, is a good friend of my father and agreed to train me and my sister. Though after one year, Ro-Marie decided to stop her training and instead learn the path of the Greenbond, as she wanted to perform a less martial role in the spreading of life energy. It was good to see her again last month at our cousin’s naming ceremony in Mi-Theron.

Even before I completed my training, many people called me a hero, but I’ve never really felt deserving of the title. Jo-Buradon says that’s exactly what makes me a hero. I just do what feels right, helping people and stopping unjust death are what comes naturally to me. I hope that I can continue to be a hero for those who need me, and do not become world weary and cynical, as I have been warned can happen.

One of the most important lessons my mentor taught me was that although we must work to preserve life, we must not become too zealous and attempt to stop natural deaths. Just as excessive death causes suffering and must be stopped, excessive life can also cause much suffering. I remember his example - when a region experiences a large population growth, the rapid change can cause famine or increase the spread of disease. This is a whiplash effects and shows that such growth of life should occur gradually, as not to upset the natural order. Even so, he assured me that the right path is to foster and protect life, while ending the lives of those who could spread far too much death.

Jo-Buradon also taught me that when it comes to dealing out life and death, the most life supporting choice is not always obvious. Situations with vulnerable death-spreaders (such as a captured Rhodin) should be carefully considered. Which action would promote life the most? Killing the Rhodin would result in less life in the world, but its death would stop it from killing innocents. (Something that is guaranteed it would do) Thus killing the Rhodin seems to be the best course of action. The problem is complicated when your opponent is one of the civilized races, such as a Litorian or Mojh. These are far less predicable in their actions, and it is often impossible to determine if it is best to keep them alive. At such times it best to take them to the authorities and let the justice system decide their fate. This is not possible however, when traveling far from civilization. It is important to remember also, to limit this use of “the scales of life and death” to single situations, as a misguided person may rationalize killing hundreds, while wholeheartedly believing they are doing the “greater good”, whatever they think that might be.

These lessons and many more have served me well so far, and will continue aid me in my future struggles in battle against unjust death.

When Jo-Buradon told me of the army that was planning to march on Ebonring keep and take it back from the Rhodin for good, I knew that my place was to go with them. Though not a member of the army, I have helped them in their battles on the way to the keep and aided in the healing of any wounded. As we have traveled, I have heard many tales of the brave adventures who had accepted the quest to retrieve the ring and use it to protect the keep from the Rhodin. These stories captivated me, and now I am planning to meet them and request that I accompany them in their next noble quest.

===========